Start enjoying the spring season with these ten things in the Cumberland Valley!
1. Biking - Cumberland Valley is a perfect place for bikers, from the numerous mapped out routes throughout the region to downtown Carlisle's bike-friendly streets. If you're just getting into biking, you can rent one at Holmes Cycling & Fitness and then try the flat surface of the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail.
2. Spring Carlisle at Carlisle Fairgrounds - This year's Spring Carlisle collector and classic car swap meet, car corral and auction has been rescheduled from April 22-26 to May 27-31. (Import & Performance Nationals are still scheduled for May 15-17). Explore more than 8,000 vending spaces at one of the top 5 automotive swap meets in the world.
3. Gardening - Spring is when we can start to get back outside and work in our gardens. Visit places like Ashcombe Farm & Greenhouses, Highland Gardens, and Stauffers of Kissel Hill to stock up on outdoor plants and gardening supplies. Bring the spring updates into your house with flowers and home accessories from Blooms by Vickrey.
4. Hiking - The Valley offers so many great hiking opportunities that you will need all of spring and summer to find your favorite. Start with these Top 10 Hikes for a few ideas. If you're up for a challenge, take on a portion of the famed Appalachian Trail.
5. Army Heritage Days - The whole family will enjoy this free event at the US Army Heritage & Education Center. Army Heritage Days runs May 16 and 17 and brings history to life via demonstrations, re-enactors, lectures and more.
6. Dining Hotspots - NOTE: At this time, many of our restaurants are still providing delicious meals and drinks through takeout, delivery, and curbside pickup. It's time to come out of winter hiding and head out to dinner on the deck. Enjoy a fun night out at the waterfront options in Wormleysburg with spectacular views of the Susquehanna River and the Harrisburg skyline.
7. Children's Lake - Children's Lake in Boiling Springs is beautiful year-round. Stop by for a leisurely stroll and feed the ducks.
8. Downtown Carlisle Bunny Hop - NOTE: This year's Bunny Hop has been cancelled. Now in its 8th year, this day of spring fun (April 4, 2020) features a downtown wide "egg hunt" in Carlisle, where children 12 and under walk from business to business collecting eggs and treats. Children are encouraged to dress in their Sunday best to form their very own Easter Parade! This popular, family-friendly event attracts hundreds of families each year.
9. Bird Watching - There's nothing more synonymous with spring than the sound of chirping birds. Head out to find your favorites in the Valley with these Bird-Watching Hotspots including Flat Rock Trail, Kings Gap State Park, and the Conodoguinet Creek.
10. Fishing - The beginning of spring marks the start of trout season and Cumberland Valley's famous fly-fishing streams include the Yellow Breeches Creek, LeTort Spring Run, and Big Spring Creek. Plan an overnight stay at Allenberry Resort, an Orvis-endorsed fly-fishing lodge, and explore our pristine waters.
Find even more Spring Things to Do in the Valley here.