I'm writing this blog 10 days from the first day of Spring...can you tell I'm sick of winter? What a better time to think of warmer weather and honor 10 things to do when the new season finally arrives. Here's my list! If I missed something, let me know in the comments.
1. Biking - Cumberland Valley is a perfect place for bikers, from the numerous mapped out routes throughout the region to downtown Carlisle's bike-friendly streets. If you're just getting in to biking, you can rent one at Holmes Cycling & Fitness and then try the flat surface of the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail.
2. Spring Carlisle at Carlisle Fairgrounds - Car show season kicks off with the Spring Carlisle collector and classic car swap meet, car corral and auction on April 22-26th. Explore the 8,100 vending spaces and marvel at one of the largest swap meets in the world.
3. Gardening - Spring is when we can start to get back outside and work in our gardens. Visit places like Ashcombe Farm & Greenhouses and Highland Gardens to stock up on outdoor plants and gardening supplies. Flow the Spring updates into your house with flowers and home accessories from Blooms by Vickrey.
4. Hiking - The Valley offers so many great hiking opportunities that you will need all of Spring and Summer to find your favorite. Start with these Top 10 Hikes for a few ideas. If you're up for a challenge, take on a portion of the famed Appalachian Trail.
5. Army Heritage Days - The whole family will enjoy this free event at the US Army Heritage & Education Center. Army Heritage Days runs May 16-17th and brings history to life via demonstrations, recreations, lectures and more.
6. Dining Hotspots - It's time to come out of winter hiding and head out to dinner. Enjoy a fun night out at the many restaurants in Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill and the West Shore, including the waterfront options in Wormleysburg.
7. Children's Lake - Even in the muddy mess that can be Spring, Children's Lake in Boiling Springs is always beautiful. Stop by for a leisurely stroll, feed the ducks or enjoy a lunch at Caffe 101 with a view of this scenic lake.
8. Mechanicsburg Earth Day Festival - Celebrate the importance of Earth Day in Mechanicsburg on April 18th with the entire family. Highlights include: live music on the solar-powered stage, gardening and herb exhibits, kid's activities and more.
9. Bird Watching - There's nothing more synonymous with Spring than the sound of chirping birds. Head out to find your favorites in the Valley with these Bird-Watching Hotspots including Flat Rock Trail, Kings Gap State Park and the Conodoguinet Creek.
10. Artist-in-Action Events - Stop by the Village Artisans Gallery in Boiling Springs for their ongoing Artist-in-Action events this Spring. Watch these artists at work and ask about their craft. You can also spend time shopping at this unique store in the Valley.
Find even more Spring Things to Do in the Valley here.