There are plenty of New Year’s Eve activities in Cumberland Valley to help welcome in 2018.
It’s not the New Year’s Eve ball drop in Times Square, but many of our downtowns will be celebrating by dropping fun and unique items. Some may call it weird or bizarre. We just call it fun!
- Head to Carlisle for First Night, where they will drop a recreation of the artwork used on their First Night button accompanied by a spectacular fireworks finale.
- Downtown Mechanicsburg will drop a wrench to celebrate the mechanics who founded the borough.
- West Fairview Township will drop a seven-foot nail to pay homage to the Harrisburg Nail Works factory that once existed in the town.
- Lower Allen Community Park will drop a five-foot tall pair of yellow breeches to honor the world-famous Yellow Breeches Creek.
- Dillsburg will drop a six-foot tall “dill” pickle, of course.
Many of these events also feature entertainment, games and refreshments making them ideal for the whole family to enjoy.
Have younger children and can’t stay out until midnight? There are some "mini" drops plus a few other fun events.
- Dillsburg will drop Lil’ Dill at 7:00 pm in conjunction with Ireland’s midnight, honoring Dillsburg’s Irish founders.
- A children’s countdown and drop featuring Baby Breeches will occur at 10 pm at Lower Allen Community Park.
- Whitaker Center continues a 25-year tradition with a New Year's Eve Party for Children featuring a countdown to Noon plus children’s activities. (Tickets are required.)
Looking for something more casual? Plenty of restaurants are celebrating with dinner and drink specials or special parties.
- Appalachian Brewing Company in Harrisburg will host a New Year's Eve Extravaganza with live music, vendors, and a great selection of beer. Enjoy a champagne toast at midnight. (Tickets are required.)
- Market Cross Pub will have live music and their annual Keg Toss at midnight.
- Castlerigg Wine Shop will be celebrating Carlisle's First Night activities with wine and appetizer specials.
- Letort View Community Center will host a 70’s Dance Party. Dress in your favorite 70s attire and dance to the music by DJ Bob Foltz.
Finally, couples can plan to spend a romantic and enchanting New Year’s Eve at Allenberry Resort. The first New Year’s Eve celebration in the newly-renovated resort is bound to be one to remember. Start the evening with a prix fixe dinner, followed by live musical entertainment. Toast the New Year with some champagne and then head off to your elegant accommodations, followed the next morning by brunch. Be sure to call Allenberry to book your reservation for this special night.
Check out our Events Calendar for an up-to-date list of all the New Year’s Eve celebrations.