Looking to find that perfect gift for each person on your list? The Cumberland Valley has a number of shops and attractions, perfect for discovering an eclectic mix of presents for everyone. Here are some our favorite gifts to find in the Cumberland Valley…
Gifts for everyone
My take on holiday shopping is that I buy one gift for a friend or relative and then one gift for myself. And there are plenty of locations throughout Cumberland Valley to meet all my gift giving needs. Instead of suggesting specific gifts, I’m going to suggest certain stores. Did you know that if each of us spent $100 more per year on local businesses instead of chain stores, it would put an extra three million dollars into our economy? So start shopping everyone!
- For my newly-married daughter: The Kitchen Shoppe offers cookware, bakeware, and cutlery at a variety of price points – from stocking stuffers on up.
- For my teenage son: This is always a hard one, but he is into photography and there are a number of local shops that provide framing services including Nancy Stamm’s Galleria, Pat Craig Studios, and Carlisle Art & Frame.
- For my husband: He enjoys running so I head to Appalachian Running Company which carries clothing and accessories. TCO Fly Shop is another great option because it carries outdoor clothing and footwear from a variety of brands including Simms and Patagonia.
- For my son-in-law: So, he has a lot of video games but I know he also likes to read, especially classic horror stories such as The Exorcist and Rosemary’s Baby. The best places to find out-of-print titles includes Canaday’s Book Barn, Cupboard Maker Books, and Pomfret Street Books. If I’m looking for a new release or I’m just not sure what to buy, I head to Whistlestop Bookshop.
- For my mother-in-law and father-in-law: They don’t like to spend money on themselves but I know they enjoy spending an evening on the town, so I usually purchase gift certificates to our many local restaurants and buy tickets for them to enjoy a show at the Luhrs Performing Arts Center or Carlisle Theatre.
- For me: Jewelry and home décor are my favorites so I also make sure I stop by the greatest gift, Village Artisans Gallery, Olde Susquehanna House, Feathers in the Nest, and Meadowbrooke Gourds because it wouldn’t be the holidays without a new gourd purchase.
I love to give handmade gifts because they are each a little different and usually add a touch of whimsy to a practical item. What I give really depends on the person, but some of my favorite gifts include a guitar-string cheese slicer from Village Artisans Gallery, birdhouses from Meadowbrooke Gourds, wooden serving forks from One Good Woman, pottery from Ten Thousand Villages and loose tea from Camellia’s Sin Tea Parlor and Gift Shop. You can view a list of local artisans here.
Ornaments at Village Artisan Gallery and Gloves at the greatest gift
My favorite go-to place for great gifts are – well there are two of them.
Village Artisan Gallery – in particular at this time of year I love the Boiling Springs inspired ornaments – each year, artist Jenny Cruz makes 250 ornaments modeled after a Boiling Springs landmark. This year, it is the Boiling Springs State Bank building, which is now a private residence. I have all of them except for the first year. Over the years, I have sent these ornaments to other households across the nation and they are cherished.
My other go-to place is the greatest gift – there is always a huge assortment of gift ideas at varying price points. This year, I will be giving all the young women in my life a pair of the fingerless gloves which I was lucky enough to pick up my own pair at a silent auction a couple years ago. They are warm, stylish, colorful and full of whimsy.
Buying local and handmade will surely bring smiles to those receiving these special gifts that are selected with care and love.
Rich Valley Golf
Some may think it’s slightly impersonal to give gift certificates as gifts. But, for those on my list who love to golf, I can’t think of anything better than a gift certificate to Rich Valley Golf Course in Mechanicsburg. Rich Valley has a promotion between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, where you can purchase a weekend round-of-golf gift certificate at discounted rate. The 18-hole course even has a mini-golf course attached to it.
Fresh Coffee from One Good Woman
I have a lot of coffee-lovers in my family and one of my favorite gifts to give is fresh ground coffee from One Good Woman in Camp Hill. They purchase coffee from three major growing regions around the world (Africa, Indonesia and the Americas) and then roast the beans in small batches. They have an incredible variety of regular, decaf, and flavored coffees sure to please every coffee lover's taste buds. Plus, you can purchase a cute coffee mug as well.
Want a chance to win some of these gifts? Learn more about our Cumberland Valley Gift Guide Contest here.