Christmas Shows in Cumberland Valley
The magic of Christmas comes alive, and to the stage, in the Cumberland Valley during the winter months. Grab the kids, friends and family and head out for a night of seasonal fun and witness the talent the Valley offers around the holidays.
To start planning your winter getaway, visit our Winter Seasonal page for trip ideas, things to do and weather information.
The state-of-the-art H. Ric Luhrs Performing Arts Center at Shippensburg University hosts a variety of acts surrounding the holiday season. Upcoming shows include:
- Celtic Woman: The Best of Christmas Tour - November 29: An enchanting and festive evening with music from the ensemble's favorite Yuletide songs.
- The Sound of Music - December 6: The beloved musical story of Maria and the von Trapp family will thrill audiences.
- Vienna Boys Choir: Christmas in Vienna - December 8: An extraordinary program featuring Austrian folk songs, classical masterpieces, popular songs and, of course, holiday favorites.
Each year, The Playhouse at Allenberry stages a performance that is sure to get guests into the holiday spirit. This year's presentation is The Man Who Saved Christmas, a very merry new holiday musical is based on the true story of A.C. Gilbert, inventor of the Erector Set. Set in 1917, when America was embroiled in the first World War, this “New Old-Fashioned” crowd-pleaser focuses on Gilbert’s battle with the U.S. government as it attempts to ban toy sales during the holiday season. The toe-tapping melodies of the musical numbers accurately and charmingly echo the World War I era, and dancing factory workers, singing soldiers, chorus lines of happy kids, and know-it-all politicians make Mr. Gilbert’s story sting!
Whether this is your annual holiday tradition or a new discovery, the Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet's performance of George Balanchine's The Nutcracker is a beloved masterpiece sure to delight the entire family. Immerse yourself in this captivating production featuring dazzling costumes, brilliant dancers, and magical music that will have your heart bursting with holiday cheer. Performances are held at Whitaker Center and at Hershey Theatre.
During the holiday months, the retro Carlisle Theatre hosts special movies and performances to help you get into the holiday spirit including the popular tradition of presenting Irving Berlin's White Christmas. In addition, enjoy A Tribute to John Denver: A Rocky Mountain Christmas, by Ted Vigil and full band performing all of the hits of John Denver as well as some holiday favorites.
Messiah College has several holiday concerts featuring both new and familiar songs of the season.
- Messiah College Christmas Concert - December 2: Begin your Christmas season with this beautiful concert featuring a variety of Department of Music ensembles. Messiah College Brass Quintets, Handbells, Men and Women's Ensembles and Concert Choir are among the groups featured in this traditional favorite!
- A Candlelight Christmas - December 14: This year's Candlelight Christmas is a pull-out-all-the-stops celebration of the joy of the season by the Susquehanna Chorale, resplendent with the sounds of brass and percussion along with organ and audience participation.
The Little Theatre of Mechanicsburg performs its version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, a joyful tribute to the holiday season featuring the wild adventures of a mouse, an elf, and a spunky little girl who just won't take no for an answer.
A number of the Valley's churches host an assortment of seasonal performances including Christmas carols, traditional hymns, classical music, and plays. See our Events Calendar for the latest information.