Monuments, Memorials and Military History

Molly Pitcher Statue

Honor the past and the people who created it by visiting the collection of historically significant monuments, special memorials and military history sites spread throughout Cumberland Valley. If you're interested in including more historical sites in your stay find a full list here.


Veteran's Square Civil War MonumentVeteran's Square Civil War Monument - This monument is located at the intersection of High and Hanover Streets in downtown Carlisle. The impressive monument honors the men from Cumberland County that died during the Civil War. Dedicated in 1871, the names listed include those who died during battle, from wounds, or diseases contracted while serving during the war. The Soldier's Monument Association began in January 1867 to begin raising funds for a monument. Several Civil War veterans were active within the association. The association invited everyone in the county to join including young and old, men and women. Also located in the brick patio area of the monument, you can browse other monuments including the China Burma India Veteran's Memorial and the Vietnam Veterans of Cumberland County Memorial.

Address: South Hanover and West High Streets, Carlisle, PA

Carlisle Springs Monument - This historically-significant monument marks the northernmost point the Confederates reached during the Gettysburg Campaign of the Civil War. Militia at Sterrett's Gap prevented the troops from advancing any farther. The historical marker, erected in 1929, states that on the morning of June 28, 1863, an organized band of the Confederate Army of Robert E. Lee reached the farm of Joseph Miller near Sterrett's Gap.

Address: PA 34, .7 mile N of Carlisle Springs, Carlisle, PA

General Couch-2Fort Couch & General Couch Monument - Fort Couch in Lemoyne was built in June of 1863 under the direction of General Darius Couch due to the Confederate Army heading toward Harrisburg. The majority of the fort was built by African Americans that worked for the railroads and sections of the original breastworks are still visible. According to the historical marker, Fort Couch is the only public site that preserves part of the once extensive defenses of Harrisburg. 

Address: Eighth St. and Ohio Avenue, Lemoyne, PA 

General Jenkins MonumentGeneral Jenkins Monument at the Rupp House - The General Jenkins Monument in Mechanicsburg is another one-of-a-kind historical site and is credited as being the farthest north Confederate monument in the United States. The monument is a ten-foot obelisk designed by noted Civil War artist Gary Casteel and located beside the Rupp House. General Albert G. Jenkins was a former Congressman from Virginia and a plantation slave-owner. He died after having his arm amputated in May 1864.

Address: 5115 East Trindle Road, Mechanicsburg, PA

Molly Pitcher 2Molly Pitcher Grave & Statue - Molly Pitcher was renowned for her bravery during the Revolutionary War. She is well-known for assisting her husband at his gun station during the Battle on Monmouth. Learn more about this heroine at the Cumberland County Historical Society.

Address: South Bedford and East South Streets, Carlisle, PA


Silver Spring Township Veterans MemorialSilver Spring Township Veterans Memorial - Located in Willow Mill Park, this large Veteran's Memorial honors veterans of all services and eras. The memorial was dedicated on November 11, 2011 and special events are held at the memorial throughout the year. 

Address: 80 Willow Mill Park Road, Mechanicsburg, PA 


Veteran's Memorial Clock TowerVeterans Memorial Clock Tower - This memorial is located in the center of Boiling Springs near Children's Lake. The tower was erected in 1956 with stones from Daniel Kaufman's barn that was a safe haven for runaway slaves on the Underground Railroad. On July 4, 1957 the tower was dedicated in memory to Cumberland County Veterans.

Address: Corner of Children's Lake, Boiling Springs, PA

Cumberland County Law Enforcement Memorial - The memorial is prominently displayed at the entrance to the Cumberland County Department of Public Safety building. This memorial, which was dedicated in 2014, honors all of Cumberland County's fallen law enforcement officers. Dating back to Officer George Martin who passed in 1893, this memorial is dedicated to 11 officers who died while on duty.

Address: 1 Public Safety Drive, Carlisle, PA

Military History

While exploring these important monuments and memorials in Cumberland Valley include other military history attractions to round out your visit.

Carlisle BarracksCarlisle Barracks - The Carlisle Barracks was established in 1757 and is the second oldest Army post in the United States. The Barracks still has a Hessian Powder Magazine, built in 1777, on site. This historical location has an interesting past. Most notably, the site was burned by the Confederate Army in 1863 and later was the home of the controversial Carlisle Indian School. Famed athlete, Jim Thorpe, and 10,000 other American Indian children attended this school from 1879-1918. The Carlisle Barracks is now home to the prestigious U.S. Army War College. Take a self-guided tour of the barracks, brochures are available at the Cumberland Valley Visitors Center

Address: 22 Ashburn Drive, Carlisle, PA, view link for directions to get on post

AHEC-200US Army Heritage & Education Center - This location is the premier facility for research on U.S. Army history and is dedicated to "Telling the Army Soldier at a time." The expansive campus includes the Visitor and Education Center, the U.S. Army War College Library, the U.S. Army Military History Institute, and the Army Heritage Trail. Free and open to the public, highlights of this attraction include the interactive Soldier Experience Exhibit, the research library and archive, and the mile-long Army Heritage Trail with full-scale military exhibits including Civil War winter encampment cabins, a WWI trench system, a replicated Normandy Bocage scene from World War II, an interpretation of the Vietnam helicopter air assault at Ia Drang and many more.

Address: 950 Soldiers Drive, Carlisle PA