Welcome Home to
Cumberland Valley's (Cumberland County and the surrounding region) combination of strategic location, a thriving economy, and high quality of life make it the perfect place to call home. Did you know that Cumberland County has been ranked the number one county to live in and is also the fastest growing county in the state? Here are more fun facts about this flourishing region of southcentral Pennsylvania.
Facts & Figures
- Ample job opportunities for professionals of all skill levels and backgrounds in diverse industries such as healthcare, transportation and warehousing, higher education, government, the military, and more.
- The perfect work-life balance with a delightful combination of walkable downtowns and tree-lined neighborhoods surrounded by a scenic landscape with abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation.
- A strong commitment to preserving working farms and some of the most fertile, non-irrigated soil found anywhere in the world. Almost 48% of the county remains in agricultural use, ensuring that fresh, seasonal food is readily available at a reasonable cost.
- A vibrant local arts scene with high-end art galleries, charming local shops featuring a mix of traditional handcrafts made by local artisans and cutting-edge artists, and state-of-the-art performing arts centers. American Craft Week has consistently voted Cumberland Valley one of America's top 10 locations for craft lovers.
- Easy access to the large cities along the Northeast corridor, including Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, DC, and New York.
- A strong economy combined with a low cost of living. According to the PA Department of Labor & Industry, the cost of living in the southcentral PA region is almost 5% below the national average.
Come explore all that Cumberland Valley offers. You’re sure to fall in love with its unique combination of diverse natural, cultural, agricultural, recreational, and economic resources that ensure the perfect work-life balance.
Welcome to Cumberland Valley! If you've recently moved here, we're thrilled to have you. This area is known for its small-town charm, thriving economy, and high quality of life, making it an ideal place to call home. As you prepared for your move, you likely took care of all the important details like finding the right neighborhood and school district. But now that you're settled in, it's time to explore. To help you get started, we've put together some day-long itineraries that highlight the unique natural, cultural, and recreational assets of Cumberland Valley. With 555 square miles and 33 municipalities, there's plenty to discover here. Whether you're looking for a walkable downtown or wide-open spaces to connect with nature, you're never far from either. Our itineraries are divided into four areas: Shippensburg, Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, and the West Shore. We recommend exploring each area individually but feel free to mix and match based on your interests and cover a larger region. Have fun exploring Cumberland Valley!
Here are five compelling reasons why this area of southcentral Pennsylvania is an ideal destination for retirees seeking a fulfilling and enriching retirement experience.
Don't miss out on what's happening in Cumberland Valley. Sign up for our monthly e-newsletter to receive info on upcoming events, expert travel tips, and exciting news on things to do.
Cumberland Valley: In the Heart of Southcentral PA
Easily accessible from several major highways and within a two- to three-hour drive of several major Northeast cities, Cumberland Valley’s location in the heart of southcentral Pennsylvania makes it the perfect destination for a Weekend Easy getaway.