Cumberland ValleyQuick Links
50 Fun-Filled Finds in Cumberland Valley
Need plans fast? If you are looking for something to do this weekend, an activity for visiting relatives or just need to get out of the house with the kids check out these 50 fun-filled suggestions!
Browse the List Below:
4. Relax by a lake, hike, bike or camp at the 2011 PA State Park of the Year, Pine Grove Furnace State Park.
5. Discover Civil War history in downtown Carlisle with an augmented reality walking tour.
6. Learn the process of growing gourds and turning them into works of art at Meadowbrooke Gourds.
7. Roll down the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail on a bike for scenic views of the Valley's agricultural land.
8. Learn about one of The Valley's famous past residents, Jim Thorpe, and the history of the Carlisle Indian School at the Cumberland County Historical Society.
9. Dine on one of the largest decks on the Susquehanna River for beautiful views of the state capital at Dockside Willies in Wormleysburg.
10. Seek out Valley treasures while exploring the South Mountain GeoTrail.
11. Spend an afternoon browsing the upscale boutiques and galleries at the West Shore Farmers Market.
12. Relax with a picnic and feed the ducks at the bubbling Children's Lake in Boiling Springs.
13. Spend the night like an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker at the Ironmaster's Mansion.
14. Figure out who-dun-it at the longest-running Murder Mystery Weekend events at Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse.
15. View one of the best places to watch migrating hawks at Waggoner's Gap Hawk Watch.
16. Enjoy a world of flavors at the unique collection of restaurants in downtown Carlisle.
17. Stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables at The Valley's farmers markets and roadside stands.
18. Stroll down Pomfret Street in Carlisle and pop in and out of boutiques and specialty shops.
19. Spend a day at the lakeside beach at Colonel Denning State Park.
20. Let the kids have a day filled with fun activities including miniature golfing, arcade games and bumper cars at the Carlisle Sports Emporium.
21. Celebrate your Celtic heritage or be Irish for the day while shopping and eating at Oxford Hall Celtic Shop in New Cumberland.
22. View a state-of-the-art performance, show or concert at the H. Ric Luhrs Performing Arts Center in Shippensburg.
23. Celebrate the Christmas season in Boiling Springs and watch the lighted tree float across Children's Lake.
24. Leisurely float down the Conodoguinet Creek on a kayak or canoe.
25. Get your adrenaline pumping at Roundtop Mountain Resort. In the winter hit the slopes with skies or a snowboard. In the summer zip-line through the trees or take on a ropes course.
26. Discover the beautiful craftsmanship of over 200 American artists including jewelry, woodcarvings, blown glass and more at the Village Artisans Gallery in Boiling Springs.
27. Sip on coffee or enjoy soup and sandwich while people watching in downtown Carlisle at the Courthouse Commons Espresso Bar & Bistro.
28. Let your kids climb all over the Imagination Station at Adams-Ricci Community Park.
29. Shop for funky gifts ranging from unique jewelry to bacon band aids at Pat Craig Studio in Carlisle.
30. Pick out a fancy hat and celebrate a special occasion with a tea party at Camellia's Sin Tea Parlor in Carlisle.
31. Enjoy a delicious meal and find your favorite dining hotspot in Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg and the West Shore.
32. Learn about and mingle with the gentle alpacas at Bent Pine Alpaca Farm.
33. Enjoy a day of rock climbing at the Climbnasium in Mechanicsburg.
34. Cool down in the summer at the Boiling Springs Pool & Waterpark, the Valley's oldest community pool.
35. Take the little ones for a day of climbing and exploring at Monkey Joe's in Mechanicsburg.
36. Relax with a wine and cheese cruise along the Susquehanna River aboard the Pride of the Susquehanna.
37. Enjoy a dish of frozen yogurt while the kids play in the "Panda Pad" at Bamboo Frozen Yogurt Cafe in Mechanicsburg.
38. Zip down the summer or winter ATV trails at Michaux State Forest.
39. Horseback ride along the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail at Winsome Farm.
40. Learn how to swing dance at the parties hosted by the Central PA Swing Dance Club at The Green Door Dance Studio.
41. Enjoy a classical performance by the prestigious Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet.
42. Discover the shell markings on the Old Courthouse in Carlisle from the Confederate Army attack in 1863.
43. View pieces of the largest collection of Civil War photography in the world at the U.S. Army Heritage & Education Center.
44. Get all your fly-fishing supplies at Yellow Breeches Outfitters before taking on the wily trout at Yellow Breeches Creek or LeTort Spring Run.
45. Stop in The Greatest Gift in Carlisle to shop for handcrafted items such as pottery and jewelry.
46. Watch a handcrafted violin being pieced together at Hershey Violins in Mechanicsburg.
47. Browse through all things Civil War, from books to neckties, at Civil War & More in Mechanicsburg.
48. Enjoy the view from Negley Park in Lemoyne. Look over the Susquehanna River for unparalleled views of the state capital.
49. Watch the artists painting local sceneries in "plein air" at the Plein Air Arts Competition in Camp Hill.
50. Whip up something delicious at a cooking class at The Kitchen Shoppe & Cooking School in Carlisle.
Phone: (717) 477-7469