Ashland Cemetery was created in 1865. A Carlisle Sentinel article from February 1955 reported that 153 soldiers and sailors from five wars are buried in the cemetery. At the time, 121 of the 153 military burials were Civil War veterans. The United States Government purchased land on the North side of the cemetery. In September 1878, the government reinterred 500 unknown Civil War casualties, apparently from a cemetery in Maryland. This section is considered an official United States Military Cemetery.