Things to Do During the Winter in Cumberland Valley
Don't stay hidden inside this winter! We found the best outdoor attractions, performing arts venues and shopping hotspots that will keep you exploring Cumberland Valley well into the chilly months.
Those seeking winter adventure can slide down the mountain on skis, a snowboard or an inner tube. If you are looking for a more relaxing winter sport, that still gets you outside, try cross-country skiing, ice skating or hiking at our scenic parks.
- Cross-country ski or ice skate on Doubling Gap Lake at Colonel Denning State Park.
Head indoors this winter and enjoy a musical performance, speaker, film or children's performance at performing arts venues in Cumberland Valley.
- The Playhouse at Allenberry, Oyster Mill Playhouse, and Little Theatre of Mechanicsburg provide quality live theatre and have been entertaining guests for over 40 years.
- Dickinson College hosts numerous musical performances as well as lectures that are free and open to the public.
- Don't forget to take advantage of our public libraries, many of which host fun activities and classes for children and adults, as well as live music and films.
If you want to spend some time outside, but aren't interested in winter sports, Downtown Carlisle hosts a number of events during the winter months including Wonderland Weekend (first weekend in December), First Night Carlisle on New Year's Eve, and Ice Art Fest in February. Stroll around town and participate in a number of fun activities during these family-friendly events.
The Valley's assortment of funky gift shops, art galleries and handcrafted Made in Cumberland Valley goodies make shopping easy and fun.
- Shop the Block on Pomfret Street in Carlisle. Spend some time browsing through art galleries, specialty shops and more.
- Spend a Saturday morning at the 60,000-square-foot West Shore Farmers Market, an indoor shopping haven for with 50 food vendors downstairs and upscale boutiques on the second floor that offer designer clothes, jewelry, and home decor.
- If you need clothing or equipment for your outdoor adventure, you’re in luck! Our rental, outfitter and other specialty shops will keep your adventure on the right track.
- Search for a treasure along the Cumberland Valley Antiques & Vintage Trail.
Plan to make a winter getaway out of the suggestions listed above. Our lodging choices range from downtown hotels to charming bed and breakfasts. Find all your lodging options. Also, plan for a cozy meal or two with the collection of eclectic dining choices throughout Cumberland Valley or make a few stops along our Cumberland Valley Beer Trail.
Things to Do
- Car Shows and Racing
- Family Fun
- Farms & Markets
- Food, Wine & Beer
- Spas & Salons
- The Arts
- Top Things To Do
- Who Are You?