Fort Couch in Lemoyne was built in June of 1863 under the direction of General Darius Couch due to the Confederate Army heading towards Harrisburg. The majority of the fort was built by African Americans that worked for the railroads and sections of the original breastworks are still visible.
Visit this location and others while exploring the All Things Civil War blog.
Historic Markers: A marker located at the intersection of Ohio Street at W. Park Avenue reads: "Remains of breastworks, at Eight and Ohio Streets, built before the battle of Gettysburg, to oppose the expected Southern drive on Harrisburg. June 29, 1863, a few Confederate scouts neared here but withdrew."
A marker located on Indiana Avenue, between 8th Street and W. Park Street reads: "Remains of breastworks built in June 1863 to oppose an expected attack on Harrisburg by Confederate troops. Site then known as Hummel's Heights. Fort was named for General Couch, Commander, Eastern Pennsylvania Military Department."