The stone structure beside the Cumberland Valley Railroad is listed on an 1867 surveyor's map as a grain warehouse and in the 1872 Cumberland County Atlas as a grain store. During the Civil War, Confederate General J.B. Jenkins used the building as a hospital for his sick and ailing soldiers. The building was owned by various individuals through the years and was newly-renovated and opened to the public as a library on December 26, 1996.
The three floors offer books, DVDs, audiobooks, reference materials, and more. There is free Wi-Fi throughout and 10 computers with high-speed Internet access.