Old Courthouse - Widow Piper's Tavern

East King Street & Queen Street,
Shippensburg, PA 17257

Before the Carlisle Courthouse was built, the Widow Piper's Tavern was used for Cumberland County court sessions from 1750 to 1751. It was built around 1735 by Samuel Perry and is believed to be among the earliest west of the Susquehanna River. The building was being used as a tavern by Widow Piper by 1740 and was probably Shippensburg's earliest public house. Travelers frequently stopped overnight. Women and moneyed people slept upstairs. Drivers slept on pallets on the downstairs floors. The house is now the home of the Shippensburg Civic Club.

Docents give tours on the second Saturday of the month from May to July and September to December from 1 pm to 4 pm. For private tours, call 717-532-5978.

Historic Marker: An on-site marker reads: " 'Widow Piper's Tavern,' used for Cumberland County court-sessions, 1750-51, until a court house was erected at Carlisle, the county seat. The house is now the home of the Shippensburg Civic Club."

  • Downtown:
  • Notes: Tours are given the second Sat. of the month in May, June, July, Sept. through Dec. from 1-4 p.m. For private group tours, call 532-5978.
  • Parking: street parking