North Earl Street & Newburg Road,
Shippensburg, PA 17257
Th Little Red School House was built in 1865 on a site north of Newburg and was was in use until 1954. Pupils ranged from 5 to 21 years of age and many traveled two or three miles to attend school. The children studied reading, grammar, arithmetic, geography, history, music, and art -- all taught by one teacher.
The one-room school house was moved to Shippensburg University in 1968 brick-by-brick as a way to preserve a part of America's educational heritage. View the Historical Marker.