Opossum Lake is a 59-acre lake situated on a 274-acre commonwealth-owned recreation area. A dam that is located on Opossum Creek, a tributary of Conodoguinet Creek, creates the lake. Opossum Lake is very popular with outdoor recreation enthusiasts for hiking, boating, fishing and birdwatching.
There is a picnic pavilion, restrooms, a handicap accessible fishing pier, boat ramps and a floating dock, and a handicap accessible path. Pavilion rentals can be made through the Lower Frankford Township office at 717-243-0855. Questions or concerns at or around the lake should be directed to the Southcentral Region of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission at 717-486-7087 (Monday-Friday 8am-4pm).
Hiking: The 4-mile Angler's Access Trail has wildlife and nature signs along the loop. Read more about the trail. The trail is maintained by the Friends of Opossum Lake.
Cycling: Mountain bikes can be taken on the 4 mile trail and along access roads connecting to the lake.
Fishing: The lake is stocked with rainbow trout. All other species are catch and release and must be immediately returned unharmed.
Boating: There are three access points of which one has a surfaced launch ramp. Boating is limited to boats powered by electric motors and un-powered boats.
Birding: More than 140 species of birds have been spotted in and around the lake and its adjacent habitat of fields and woodlands. Species include Eastern Meadowlark, Tundra Swan, Green-winged Teal, Common Loon, Common Yellowthroat, and Blue-headed Vireo.
Horseback Riding: Horse back riders should be aware of the following:
- Avoid the trail when conditions are very wet.
- Bog bridges, bog planks and foot bridges are not designed for horse weight; please go around them.
- If you are aware of your horse leaving manure, please dismount and push it off the trail.
- Directions: From Interstate 81 north or south take exit 44. Turn north onto Route 465. Go through the light at Route 11, to the "T" at Route 641. Turn left onto Route 641 west and go .1 mile and turn right onto Meadowbrook Road. Go across the turnpike and creek bridge. Turn left at "T" and follow to stop sign. Turn right then take an immediate left and continue to the stop sign at the top of the hill. Turn left onto Campground Road, which turns into Opossum Lake Road. Continue to Opossum Lake on the left.
- Handicapped Accessible:
- Pets Allowed:
- Catch n' Release:
- Family Fun Fishing:
- Muskellunge, Walleys and Pike:
- Smallmouth Bass:
- Stocked Trout:
- Any Length Trail:
- Bird Watching:
- Equestrian Trails:
- Hiking Trails:
- Interpretative Signage:
- Miles of Trails: 4
- Picnic Area/Pavilions:
- Trail Length < 5 Miles:
- Boat Launch: