St. John's Episcopal Church is located at the northeast corner of the square in downtown Carlisle. Today the church is home to more than 900 members, making it one of the 200 largest congregations of the Episcopal Church in the country.
An original building stood here in 1751 that was used as a temporary court room and church. In 1762 a small stone church was built on this location and services were suspended during 1776 due to backlash from Revolutionaries aimed at an "English" church. The building of the present church began in 1826.
Today, St. John’s of the Episcopal Diocese of Central Pennsylvania, a part of the world-wide Anglican Communion.
Historic Marker: An on-site marker for Episcopal Square reads "This square was set apart by the Penns in 1751 for the Church of England; in continuous use since that time by St. John's Episcopal Church. In 1752, the first church building was erected."