The Pennsylvania Farm Show is more than just petting cute animals and indulging in delicious food. For over 100 years, it’s been a place to showcase “the best of the best.” Individuals and businesses from across the state compete in several categories to earn a coveted blue ribbon. Cumberland Valley had a strong showing in the Beer, Wine, and Cider categories for 2023.
Big Hill Ciderworks, Gardners
Big Hill Ciderworks attributes its success to its Cumberland Valley location. "The secret sauce… begins with the soil of our region and microclimate of our farms.”
- Traditional Cider, 1st Place, Kingston Black
- Sour Cider, 1st Place, Manchurian
- Dessert Cider, 1st Place, Pommeau
- Dessert Cider, 2nd Place, Ice Cider
Wolf Brewing Co., Mechanicsburg
Wolf’s artfully crafted small-batch creations have won 120 awards, which includes recognition from the 2023 PA Farm Show.
- Czech the Forest, 2nd place, Amber Lager category
Lovedraft's Brewing Co., Mechanicsburg
Grim, from Lovedraft's Brewing Co, is a clean, simple beer lagered nearly 3 months and is naturally carbonated.
- Grim, Best in Show
Isaac’s Craft Kitchen & Brewery, Mechanicsburg
The Mechanicsburg restaurant serves handcrafted Isaac’s beers brewed off-site at several Isaac’s locations around the Midstate. Hart Vanglas is a Belgian Blond ale brewed with German two-row barley and a clear Belgian candi syrup.
- Hart Vanglas, 2nd place
Big Bottom Brewery, Dillsburg
Big Bottom Brewery’s molé-style imperial stout is aged six months in Midstate Distillery bourbon barrels; then chipotle peppers, cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans, cacao nibs, and Sumatran coffee are added. The result is a smooth finish with just the right amount of heat.
- The Discipline of Fire & Demise, 1st place
The Winery at the Long Shot Farm, Carlisle
The only estate winery in Cumberland Valley, The Winery at the Long Shot Farm received bronze medals for the following vintages.
- 2020 Vintage: Apple Wine (semi-sweet wine that is sweet, tart, crisp, and luscious)
- 2020 Vintage: Trophy Rack (sweet wine that balances out the strong fruit flavors of Concord Rosé with crisp Pennsylvania apples)
- 2020 Vintage: Valley Blush (an off-dry blend of Chambourcin Rosé and Vidal)
Find more amazing locations to tap, tour, and try a pint along the Cumberland Valley Beer Trail.