The original three-story log structure was built by William Laughlin around 1763. The Laughlin family also built the dam which provided enough water power to turn the water wheel and grind wheat and other grain. The mill was owned by the Laughlin family until 1896, when it was sold to the Newville Water Company which installed turbine used to pump water through the main pipes of the town. The current structure is a restoration.
This is the oldest mill structure remaining in this region and one of the most photographed sites in Cumberland Valley.
Historic Marker: An on-site marker reads: "Grist mill built about 1763 by William Laughlin. Owned by his family until 1896. Preserved by Ethel T. McCarthy. The oldest such structure remaining in this region."