Back To Previous
Overview

Nestled in the ridges of South Mountain, two miles northwest of Pine Grove Furnace State Park along Michaux Road, lies Camp Michaux. This site has an unusual history that is linked to the iron industry in the late 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries when the area was a working farm known as Bunker Hill Farm. The history continues as a Civilian Conservation Corps Camp (CCC) during the Great Depression. During World War II, it was established as a secret Prisoner of War Interrogation Camp. It was an attractive choice for the Army due to its proximity to Carlisle Barracks as well as its seculsion. Over the course of the war, over 7,313 Germans and 161 Japanese were held here. Following the war, the area eventually became the site for a church camp, shared by the United Presbyterian Church and The United Church of Christ. Download the Camp Michaux Self-Guided Walking Tour (.pdf).

Directions from Pine Grove Furnace Park Office: Continue south on Route 233 for approximately 1.5 miles. Turn right onto Michaux Rd and continue for approximately 1.5 miles. When the intersection of Bunker Hill Rd is to the right, the lower gate entrance to the camp will be on the left. Off-road parking is available beyond the intersection on the right. The upper gate entrance is across from the parking area. If using GPS, input the following coordinates:

40° 02' 16"N -77° 20' 27"W
40.0379°N -77.3404°W

Historic Marker: A marker located at the intersection of Pine Grove Road and Michaux Road reads: "During WWII, the US War Department operated this secret facility a mile north along Michaux Rd., one of three such sites in the US. Military intelligence relating to topics such as weaponry development and Axis operations was gained from thousands of German and Japanese prisoners. Originally a farm serving the iron industry, 1785-1919, the site was converted to Civilian Conservation Corps Camp S-51-PA, 1933-42. After the war it became church Camp Michaux, 1946-72."

 

CLOSE MAP
VIEW MAP