Old Cumberland County Prison
- Address: East High Street Carlisle, PA 17013
The Old Cumberland County Prison, located in downtown Carlisle, was an operating prison from 1854-1984 and is now used for county offices. Designed by Philadelphian architect Edward Haviland designed the prison. In Pennsylvania, the castle-style prison was very popular in the mid-nineteenth century made popular by Edward’s father, John Haviland. The previous jail was also located on the corner of East High and South Bedford street. This lot would house a prison from 1753 until 1985, when the new Cumberland County Prison was built on Claremont Road about two miles away from this location.