The Frankenberger Tavern, located in downtown Mechanicsburg, is one of the historic buildings preserved by the Mechanicsburg Museum Association. In 1801, George Frankenberger built this log tavern in the woods beside the great road from Harrisburg to Carlisle, before there was a Mechanicsburg. It served as a place for travelers and their animals to eat and sleep, mainly for those on foot and moving slowly, such as drovers moving livestock. The tavern is believed to be the oldest building in Mechanicsburg.
The Frankenberger Tavern is open Saturdays from the beginning of May through the first Saturday in October, from 12 noon to 3:00 pm. It is open for extended hours during Mechanicsburg events such as Jubilee Day. Admission is free.